Monday, July 05, 2021

This Week's Oz Short Story

Well of course I'm going to keep this series going long enough to at least cover the 2021 issue of Oziana. Oh, I have a few other short stories I want to cover, but for a while I may only be able to cover the new issues of Oziana when they come out. But that's down the road. This issue opens with, naturally enough, "The Wizards of Silver and Gold, Part 2" by Nathan DeHoff and Joe Bongiorno, picking up where part 1 left off in the last issue. I'm not going to try to summarize everything, because I'm not sure I can. It's not a terribly memorable story, and it kind of splays out all over the place. Lots of secondary or one-off Thompson characters pop in, and even one Neill characters shows up, as it appears this story is set between Ozoplaning with the Wizard of Oz and The Wonder City of Oz, bridging the gap between the two authors and kind of giving an explanation for why Neill's Emerald City is so much wilder than we've ever seen it before or since. Even Rosine and the Laughing Dragon from Frank J. Baum's The Laughing Dragon of Oz show up. But my bigget issue is that all the dangling plot threads all get tied up a little too quickly and neatly at the end with about a half page of exposition. A story of this length, spread out over two issues, could have been more carefully planned and avoided this issue. Oh, well, not every story can be a winner, I suppose.

No comments: