Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Today's Oz Comic

Way, way back in the day, when I was in high school and was first learning about these new machines called home computers, I started a little newsletter for Oz fans about computers called Computerozzed. (I must thank Susan Hall for that title, it lure beat my first idea, Bits of Oz.) Don't ask, only two issues came out, I had a circulation you could count on one hand, and I have no idea where my copies are, or even if they still exist. Along with talking about general topics of how Oz fans could use computers and some pretty basic BASIC programs, I included cartoons. One I recall was the Wizard giving the Scarecrow one of those newfangled Apple Macintosh computers with the caption, "Here, Scarecrow, is your new brain." Well, nearly forty years later, the gag still works, as evidenced by today's edition of the Half Full comic. Except now the technology has moved on, and it's not a computer that is at the center of things. (I think my calculator, and definitily my phone, have more memory and power than my first computer, a Radio Shack Color Computer, affectionately known by its users as a CoCo.)

No comments: