Sunday, January 29, 2017

Emerald City: "Everybody Lies"

This show is starting to become very convoluted and complicated, but at least the various plot threads are also starting to come together, so maybe it will all make sense by the end. Anyway, I may have waited too long after watching this past Friday's episode to write an accurate summary, but I'll see what I can do:

  • Jack is coming to terms with being a servant, especially while also still trying to master his metal body, while Langwidere is trying to not just be a princess and master to Jack. He tries to teach her how to be friends, but it ends up going beyond that, as they end up kissing.
  • The Wizard, trying to stave off the latest iteration of the Beast Forever, enlists the help of Ev to produce weapons. The king of Ev proves to be an infirm old man, so much of the decision making falls on Langwidere's shoulders. (And I really hope someone cosplays as Langwidere soon, as those masks she wears are amazing.)
  • West confronts Dorothy and tries to get information about how East died. Since West is magically throwing Dorothy around during this interrogation, Dorothy doesn't say anything, but eventually West figures out about the gun and aims it at Dorothy. Fortunately, Dorothy notices that the clip has fallen out. Meanwhile, Tip has her first confrontation with Dorothy since escaping from Mombi, and Tip blames Dorothy for all that's happened to her since.
  • And in the final moments, Dorothy finally confronts the Wizard, who says (and I am wildly paraphrasing), "Oh, Dorothy, it's you! Welcome home!"
  • I remember Glinda being in it, but for the life of me, other than a freaky conversation with West while her face appears in a scarf (!), I don't remember exactly what she did.
  • And there's some stuff about Lucas regaining some of his memories and having to confront his former life.
Did I forget anything else?

Between the plunging ratings and the critical drubbing, I will be surprised if this show is picked up again for a second season. But we're now halfway through the season (I know, I said that last week, but I miscounted), and I will at least see this through to the end. But wow, they really don't get Oz at all. It is, at least, a very attractive show, and the design work is amazing. I am really looking forward to seeing this on Blu-Ray (and I suspect it will also play better in a short amount of time than once a week), but this show is definitely a case of all sizzle, and not a lot of steak.

Finally, a plea in regards to future versions of The Wizard of Oz. After Tin Man, The Witches of Oz, and now this, along with several books and comics reinterpreting Oz, I think it's time to put the whole "Dark Oz" genre away for a while. Fortunately, the forthcoming Lost in Oz and Dorothy of Oz cartoons look much more promising. And we still have the L. Frank Baum biography movie The Road to Oz and the Wicked movie to look forward to.

No comments: