Sunday, June 08, 2014

The Secret Is Out At Last!

Totally unrelated to the subject of today's post, but this year's Winkie Convention starts two months from today. And it's shaping up to be a really good one. But today I want to talk about something that happened last night, at the National Oz Convention in Chittenango, New York. The 2014 L. Frank Baum Memorial Award was presented, and unlike years past, I knew who was going to win ahead of time. You see, one of the benefits of winning the Award, as I so unexpectedly did last year, is that you get to help decide, with your fellow winners, who gets it the next year, and every year after that. I don't want to go into detail about the process, but I will say that we had a very large number of deserving nominees, and I would have been proud to vote for any of them, and could accept any one of them as the winner. The biggest problem of being a previous winner is that you have to keep it a secret until it's announced! It was hard enough for me to keep the name Gregory Maguire secret — for that is indeed who won. Imagine how tough it will be when it's someone that I know well and talk to on a semi-regular basis! But keep the secret I will, as I hope to be doing this for quite a few more years!

No comments: