Monday, December 26, 2011

Today's classic Oz Comic, Political Division

A local institution is leaving the area. David Horsey has been a political cartoonist for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer for thirty years now, and he's one of the best. Heck, he's won two more Pulitzer Prizes for editorial cartooning than I ever will! But ever since the P-I went to online-only publishing a few years ago, it seems he hasn't put out as much. So perhaps it was inevitable that he would move on, and today he announced on his blog that he was leaving Seattle and heading for a new job at the Los Angeles Times. So, good for him!

But why do I bring this up in an Oz blog? Well, go take a look at his blog and scroll down a bit. I suspect you'll understand why when you see the second cartoon in this look back at his career. I just want to add that Horsey also contributed to one of the more unusual and tangential books in my collection, a 1984 collection of political cartoons about the then-President called, appropriately enough, Reagancomics. As you can see, David Horsey drew the cover.

No comments: