Friday, July 01, 2011

Winkie Convention Countdown: 7 Days to Go

Wow, only a week to go now? How time flies! And I'm definitely starting to run out of things to say. Still, I should be able to come up with something each day. So today, I want to reminisce about my costumes. I'm not a big costumer, but I've worn a few in my day. I already told you about my prize-winner in 1989 and my first costume, in 1983, but here are a few others I've worn:


  • Captain Salt. I had a black costume frock coat, I managed to find a good beard, and Karyl supplied a hat. Frankly, I thought that was one of my better ones. Somewhere in the depths of my collection are pictures of me in that costume out on the dunes of Asilomar, with the Pacific Ocean in the background.
  • Ippty, the scribe of Rash from The Hungry Tiger of Oz. By coincidence, Susan Hall also dressed as Ippty that year. So we did a joint presentation, each claiming to be the real Ippty, a la "I am Spartacus!" (Just between you and me, however, I think her costume was better.)
  • The Army of Oz. This was a joint costume Laura and I did a few years ago (I'm sure we blogged it somewhere, feel free to browse). She was the officer, I was the private.
  • The Soldier with the Green Whiskers. This was pretty much Karyl's baby, I was just the model for it, although I seem to recall supplying the pants. Also, we borrowed a prop gun from a stage presentation of The Marvelous Land of Oz from years ago, which just added to the affect.
  • The Oogaboo Army. This was another theme costume that a whole bunch of us Oogaboos wore.
  • Pokes. Again, a bunch of Oogaboos being silly. We dressed as the Pokes from The Royal Book of Oz and did things real slow, said "Cheese" about a minute after someone took our picture, dropped off to sleep at random moments, and the like. Hilary dressed as a pet snail! It was a lot of fun.
  • Kermit the Frog as the Scarecrow in The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, another Karyl creation (she went as Miss Piggy as the Wicked Witch of the West and won a rare special prize). In fact, here's a picture of me:

  • And, of course, you all recall Ozzy McTavish, right?

1 comment:

Jay said...

I have the stuff for a costume this year, but looking over means of transport for it, looks like it'll have to wait for next year. Maybe it'll work better with next year's theme, if they celebrate "Purple Prince."