Friday, June 10, 2011

The latest Oz comic books

The comics order came this week, so do you know what that means? That's right, new Oz comics! Here's what came:


  • Fables #105. Ozma and her superteam are ready to take on their first opponents, but it seems the North Wind, the Big Bad Wolf, and Mr. Dark all have some issues to work out, first. Not a lot of Oz connection here, but I think things are gearing up for something big. I know we've been promised a return to Bufkin's adventures in Oz in issue #108.
  • Ozma of Oz #7. Wow, are we that close to the end already? I'll just say Eric Shanower, Skottie Young, great job again as always, yada yada yada. This issue covers what's going on in the throne room while Dorothy is trying to guess which ornaments are enchanted people, including Billina's bargain with the Nome King, through to the Scarecrow throwing eggs at Roquat. I especially liked the situations Ozma and the princes and princesses of Ev found themselves in when they were disenchanted. Skottie Young captured their looks of surprise very well. I also liked moodily backlit Ozma when she confronted the Nome King. So, no surprise, yes, I'm looking forward to the conclusion, and how they handle it.
  • Not actually part of the comics order, but arriving the next day was the Dorothy of Oz free giveaway comic from WonderCon. It was brief, but charming, setting up events for the movie. Yes, this is a new animated movie, scheduled to come out next year, based on the book of the same name by Roger S. Baum. I must admit to not being a big fan of Roger Baum's version of Oz (too much like the MGM movie, not a lot of character development), but I like the look of the characters in this comic. I think we may have a winner here.

No comments: