Monday, August 02, 2010

The latest Oz readings

Although I'm technically not in an Oz reading cycle right now, I have read two quick, Ozzy items that I thought I'd share. One is the program book for this year's Winkie Convention, with all kinds of essays about The Emerald City of Oz, as well as some reminiscences of early Winkie Conventions from Peter Hanff, a gallery of Frank Kramer's non-Oz artwork, two chapters from The Flying Girl, a 1911 novel by "Edith Van Dyne", and part of Walt Spouse's 1933 comic strip adaptation of The Emerald City of Oz. This is the second year that this sort of book has been made available to conventioneers, and I hope it can continue. I do know there are already plans for one for next year.

The other is a very short little pop-up book version of The Wizard of Oz that I found for one cent on Amazon.com. Like some other pop-ups and adaptations, this one is so brief that it's little more than highlights. But the complete story is there, the art is cute, and I'm not at all unhappy with this purchase. Want to see for yourself? Here it is!

No comments: