Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Sketch

Okay, to make up for that joke yesterday, here's the latest extract from my sketchbook. But before I show it to you, I need to explain something. It's not just an Oz sketchbook. Lots of people take around themed sketchbooks, and have the comics artist draw something pertaining to the theme in it. This can, as you can imagine, get pretty wild and creative. My lovely wife Laura has several different sketchbooks now devoted to Aquaman, just to give one example. My sketchbook started off being devoted to Green Lantern (and if you don't know who that is, just wait, the movie is going to be one of the big events of next summer, it appears). But when Laura took the book down to San Diego (I was at an Oz convention elsewhere at the time), she also got some Oz sketches. Okay, so it became a dual-themed sketchbook. Some people drew Oz, some drew Green Lantern. But Leonard Kirk? He became the first (but far from last) artist to combine the two! So here it is, Leonard Kirk's Green Lantern/Oz mash-up sketch:



And yes, that's me smudging out a very slightly not G-rated word at the end, for the benefit of potential sensitive readers. If I remember to bring it, ask to see the original at the Winkie Convention next weekend and you'll see what it actually says (and you'll get handy sneak peeks at other, upcoming Sunday sketches, too).

No comments: