Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Oz collection superlatives: Addendum

A while ago, I blogged about the results of my collection's inventory, including the biggest, smallest, longest, and shortest books I own. Scott Cummings, the new editor of The Baum Bugle, wanted to know what the heaviest book I own is. Don't laugh, there's an actual good research reason he asked. He wanted to know if the recent collection of Queer Visitors from the Marvelous Land of Oz is the heaviest Oz book ever published. I pulled it down and some other likely candidates, and took them to the kitchen to use the scales there. Sure enough, based on what I own, it is. It weighs in at four pounds, twelve and a half ounces.

It is not, however, the heaviest book in my collection. Strictly speaking, although it has Oz content, Judy Garland: A Portrait in Art and Anecdote by my friend John Fricke is not an Oz book. But it was too heavy to register on my kitchen scale, which maxes out at five pounds. So I got a less precise measure using my bathroom scale, and I had to hold it and subtract my own weight. It's about five and a half pounds, but I suspect the ink John added to the book when he added the long inscription on the front free endpaper added a few ounces.

No comments: