Sunday, February 05, 2017

This Week's Oz Poem

I am, at last, digging into my own stash of Oziana issues. I only have the first four issues as reprints, but the 1975 issue was the earliest issue I ever owned outright. It was not the first issue I ever owned—that would be 1977, the issue that came out the same year I first joined the International Wizard of Oz Club. I did buy this issue later as a back issue, and somewhere later found a copy of 1976 for sale. So from hereon in, all of my Oziana posts will be taken directly from original issues. But for my first entry from the 1975 issue, I am not going to look at the first story. That is really long, and I'd rather reread it when I have a little more time. Fortunately, there is a three-day weekend coming up. But the second item is extremely short, as it's a two-stanza poem entitled "Dorothy's Dilemma" by Mark Deitch. It appears to be about Dorothy no longer believing in Oz, so why is she being called to it? At first I thought it might be set during Dorothy's trip to Australia in Ozma of Oz, but it includes the line "but I have never seen the sea". Oh, well, it's an interesting little piece.

No comments: