Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Latest Oz Short Story

I'm falling a little behind in my attempts to read an Oz short story a week. In fact, I've already decided to put this little project on hold once I've finished The Purple Dragon and Other Fantasies by L. Frank Baum, just because I'm so busy with other things right now. But I still have a few stories to go in The Purple Dragon, the most recent being "The Glass Dog" from American Fairy Tales. Purple Dragon editor David Greene quite rightly points out that these are darker, more cynical stories aimed at an older audience than his previous efforts. Much of "The Glass Dog" is about the shallowness and greed of humanity, and how what you want may not be what you need. The wizard who brings the glass dog to life comes out best in the end, but he's not particularly sympathetic, either, so it just makes everyone look bad.

No comments: