Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Latest Oz Short Story

The latest story I read from I Didn't Quite Make It to Oz is "Souvenir of Oz" by Morris Reban. It was rejected because it was Reban's first sale, so he had no fan base; it's a short flash-fiction tale, of which there were already plenty; and it was extremely dark humor, which the main book also had plenty of. It is also the editor's favorite story that she had to reject, because of the dark humor. I dare not say much about it, as I don't want to give it away, but Reban pretty much copies the last few lines of Chapter 23 and all of Chapter 24 from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, then adds on to it to give us the immediate aftermath of Dorothy's return and the unexpected gift from Oz that returns with her and Toto. Had things happened as they did in this story, I don't think Aunt Em's and Uncle Henry's reactions would have been a surprise to anybody.

No comments: