Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Oz Short Story Reading

Despite all appearances to the contrary, I've been doing more about Oz the past few months than just collecting comic strips and Jeopardy! clues. I've also been reading a bunch of Oz (and Ozzish) comic books, and I will probably have to do a major catch-up post on those some time this spring, for example. My new (albeit temporary) job and lots of other things to read recently have pushed the regular Oz reading aside for a while, however, but the one thing I have been able to maintain is reading one Oz short story a week. Right now I'm working my way through Baum's Our Landlady again, reading three columns each weekend. These columns don't really lend themselves well to the sort of critiques I usually do with short stories, being very much products of their time and place, but I thought I'd read them again.

This weekend, however, has been an exception, as there's a new short story available online. "Who Stopped the Rain?" was posted by the author, Nathan M. DeHoff, on the Royal Forums of Oz, and it's a lot of fun. It's especially helpful if you know Thompson's Oz, as it takes place not long after The Giant Horse of Oz. I left a couple other comments on the page itself, so you can see what I think there. Go check it out!

No comments: