Monday, August 11, 2014

Winkies Are Over For Another Year

I'm sorry I didn't get much chance to blog about the Winkie Convention this weekend, but I was just so busy that I never really got the chance. It was a huge event, however, with around four hundred attendees. That makes it the biggest Winkie Convention ever, and one of the largest Oz conventions ever. (The only one that might be bigger is the Centennial Convention in 2000.) But right now I want to talk about the next two Winkie Conventions. Next year, it will be back in San Diego, July 31 to August 2, celebrating the centennial of The Scarecrow of Oz, forty years of The Wiz, thirty years of Disney's Return to Oz, and twenty years of Wicked (the book, not the play). Then the 2016 convention is scheduled for Portland, the first time the convention has ever been held outside of California. And I'll be chairing that one. I'm not quite sure what's going to happen yet, but I'm getting the germ of some ideas. So we shall see what happens.

No comments: