Thursday, January 02, 2014

Oz in Jeopardy!

I seem to have hit another bad file — or my video player is on the fritz. Either way, this one didn't work, either. I've got two more, so I may as well just do them without bothering to try screen grabs. So, after four days in a row with Oz (or at least Ozzish) content, they took a few days off. But on the December 17, 2013 show, when they revealed the Double Jeopardy! category:

1939 BEST PICTURE
OSCAR NOMINEES

I told Laura, "We're gonna need this one!" And I was right, because the $800 clue read:

DOROTHY KNOWS THIS TITLE ROLE
WAS WRITTEN FOR W. C. FIELDS,
WHO IS SAID TO HAVE TURNED
IT DOWN OVER MONEY

That's not exactly how it happened, but close enough. Sandy, the challenger at the center lectern, rang in first and correctly responded, "What is the Wizard of Oz?" She did not, however, go on to win.

Two days later, on the December 19, 2013 show, we got this clue for $600 in the Jeopardy! round category Hodgepodge:

THIS SMALL BLONDE
OKLAHOMA-BORN DYNAMO
HAS BEEN "WICKED" ON
STAGE AND FULL OF "GLEE" ON
TELEVISION

This one was a triple stumper, as none of the contestants seemed to know who Kristin Chenoweth is. She originated the role of Galinda in Wicked, for those who may not have already figured that out.

And that's it for Oz clues in 2013. I haven't seen any yet this year, but you know there will be some soon. Maybe I can actually get the screen grabs to work by then!

No comments: