Our latest comics order came not so long ago, and there were five Oz comics in it — and none of them were either Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz nor Dorothy of Oz: The Prequel! Who'd have thought there'd be so many Oz comics out there all at once? Anyway, here they are:
- Grimm Fairy Tales Presents The Library #5. The series wraps up with everything all neatly wrapped up and Sela and her family happy and together again. Of course, before that can happen, the Wicked Witch of the West has to face off against Baba Yaga! (Those of you familiar with Russian folk tales know that this is a match that can not turn out well!)
- The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #3. Toto the horse saves the day, but then Gale and her three friends (yes, the lion turns up in this one) must face off against the Kalidahs. Yes, the Kalidahs!!! Oh, yeah, and the Wicked Witch notices her, too, and she is not at all happy.
- The Wonderland Chronicles: Jack and Cat Tales #3. Another storyline from this Dorothy-meets-Alice series wraps up (and I gather that this will be part of the second trade paperback collection). The Wizard's past has finally caught up to him, and he must make some hard choices to save Mae. Oh, yeah, and the bad guys use patching! Yes, a reference to one of Baum's non-Oz books!
- Fables #116. Finally!!! In the Oz back-up story, we learn at long last how Bufkin survived that cliffhanger a few issues back, and it's about what one might expect, but in a very Ozzy way. Also, in the main story, Ozma joins the hunt for Therese.
- Related to the last issue, my comic shop owner talked me into buying the first issue of Fairest, the latest spin-off series from Fables. The series is about the various princesses in Fabletown. The issue itself has no Oz content, but the back cover does feature Ozma, so I thought it would be worth getting. This will very likely be the only comic in my collection in which the back cover is facing out of the bag. I also hope this means that there will be an arc about Ozma at some point in the book.
- And finally, No Place Like Home #3 features Dee and Lizzie digging up their past (literally!). I still wasn't sure about how Ozzy this horror comic was going to be, and if I hadn't already ordered the final two issues, I may have dropped it — until, that is, the flying monkey shows up!