Thursday, June 30, 2011

Winkie Convention Countdown: 8 Days to Go

I may have bitten off a lot more than I can chew this year. I want to get as many people interested in taking the quizzes as I can, so after winning last year, I announced that I was going to write three quizzes: Rookie, Standard, and Masters. That way, everyone who's interested can take a quiz at their own level, against equally-matched competition. But that means I still have to write three quizzes, and I haven't yet, and I leave in only six days. It was a lot easier to write some of the other quizzes I've written in the past. You see, the winner of the quiz has to write the next one. So after I won it for the first time, I decided that my quiz would be a quote quiz. I provided fifty quotes from the Oz books, and you got one point correct for naming the speaker, and one point for the book. That meant I had to reread all forty Oz books over the course of the year. This was not at all an onerous task! When I came to a good quote, I wrote it down on a yellow legal pad. I was going to college at the time, so every time I went home, I'd take back the books I'd read and picked up the next few. And I think I borrowed the handful of books I didn't already have at that time. I had a lot of fun writing it, too, and I thought it would be a tough one. But Robin Olderman won it with a score of 92.

A few years later, it was my turn again. I came up with another theme quiz, based on Who's Who in Oz. It was pretty simple, in that all you had to do was identify the character from its entry (with some major identifying words deleted, of course — except I missed it on one of them). Again, I thought it would be a tough but entertaining one, but the winner had a perfect score. Guess who? Robin Olderman again.

Enough blogging, I have some quizzes to write!

No comments: