Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Winkie Convention Countdown: 10 Days to Go

I'm really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel here, as I'm starting to run out of ideas and remembrances. But at least we've hit the twenty-first century at last. In 2000 we didn't have a convention, with all of the conventions pooling their resources instead for a mega-con in Indiana to celebrate the centennial of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. So it was good to be back at Asilomar in 2001. Since I was on my summer break, and I had a major walkathon going on later that summer, I decided to almost shave my head. I did leave a little layer of fuzz, but by the time we got to the Convention, it hadn't grown in much, and I looked a lot different from what everyone expected. For some reason, everyone wanted to rub my head. After I threw up objections to that, some people started rubbing Laura's head while she rubbed my head (I will never object to my wife rubbing the top of my head). And in a happy bit of serendipity, two of our costumed celebrities were dressed as the Wash and Brush Up Co. hair stylists from The Movie. As I was hosting the costumed characters anyway, I sat down and let them "cut" my hair to the amusement of the crowd. That was a fun year, because after the convention, we headed on down to San Diego for the annual Comic Con, and got to sleep on the floor of Eric Shanower's studio for a few days. Yes, an Ozzy time was had by all!

No comments: