Friday, January 15, 2010

Oz in the comics

No, this is not a daily comic strip, but a reference to the latest appearance of my favorite new superheroine, Cyclone. In JSA All-Stars #2, the villains are making Oz cracks about her! Here's the set-up (which shouldn't contain spoilers): Cyclone, wearing her green dress and red-and-white-striped socks and with her long red hair flying around her head, is zapping a couple of bad guys with little mini-tornadoes. Here's the dialogue:

Villain #1: Who are you supposed to be?
Villain #2: I know, right? It's like Billie Burke put on Margaret Hamilton's costume by mistake."
Villain #1: Nobody gets your pretentious references, [Villain #2].
Cyclone: I got it.
Villain #2: Shut up, kid. I'm going to kill you now. Doesn't matter what you're wearing when you're dead.

Needless to say, Cyclone doesn't die, but beyond that, I won't say any more so as not to spoil the story.

I really like this character! It doesn't hurt that she's also the granddaughter of one of my wife's all-time favorite characters, the original Golden Age Red Tornado, Ma Hunkel.

No comments: