Saturday, December 26, 2009

Santa Claus was good to me!

This year was delayed gratification Christmas, but I got a couple of nice goodies today from Santa Cl-Oz. The first thing I opened was the five-DVD collector's set of the seventieth anniversary edition of The Wizard of Oz. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the extras in this set that are new, particularly The Dreamer of Oz on DVD at last! The second gift was the other big Oz item I was hoping for this year, the new book, Victor Fleming: An American Movie Master. Directing both The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind (and receiving an Oscar for the latter) would be enough to make him a Hollywood legend, so it's curious that it's taken this long for a book about his work to come out. I know Fleming had a long and varied career even before these movies, and worked a lot with Clark Gable, so this should be a good read.

No comments: