Saturday, November 21, 2009

The latest Oz reading

Did I mention the latest comics order? There was one more, issue #29 of Age of Bronze. Okay, yeah, strictly speaking, this is not Oz at all, as it's an ongoing comics retelling of the Trojan War. But as it's written and drawn by my friend Eric Shanower, who is one of the leading artists (and now, thanks to the Marvel comics adaptations of the Oz books, writers as well), and I first heard about this book through the Oz connection, I'm going to talk about it here. The war is, finally, in full swing, and unlike some past issues, this one just rips along. Lots of war, lots of behind-the-scenes machinations, lots of hang-wringing about the women and children. I found it particularly interesting that the Greeks had to go out and conquer neighboring cities just so they would have food of their own to eat. Depriving the Trojans of possible supplies doesn't hurt, either. And when the Greeks discover that Helen may not even be in Troy any more, that may mean the end of the war, since she's the reason they're there in the first place. Well, I know Eric is already hard at work on issue #30, so I'll let you know what happens when it comes out some time early next year.

No comments: