Thursday, April 23, 2009

The latest Oz comic book

I just read Marvel's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz #5 this morning, and this is just the continuation of a good thing. This issue covers Dorothy's time in the Winkie Country. Yes, this is the only issue with the Wicked Witch of the West. Yes, she had that small of a part in the original book. What strikes me about this book is how faithful scripter Eric Shanower has been to the original book — in contrast to how utterly original artist Skottie Young has been. While I appreciate the scripts fidelity, it's Young visual interpretation that really makes this book for me. He's not trying to copy or interpret Denslow, Neill, or MGM, and this take is visually gorgeous and invigorating. If you haven't already started getting this series, I hope you get a chance to dig through the back issue bins and find them all. Or you can just wait for the collected edition. And yes, in case I haven't already mentioned it elsewhere, Shanower and Young have already been commissioned to produce a comics adaptation of The Marvelous Land of Oz. I look forward to Young's take on Jack Pumpkinhead, the Wogglebug, and the Gump.

No comments: