Sunday, June 10, 2007

For those who like their Oz offbeat...

I finally got a chance to check out the DVD set A Prairie Home Collection from my local library. (I actually asked for it through interlibrary loan, but enough other folks seemed to want it that they ordered several sets for themselves. It pays to be part of a very large library system!) I wanted to make sure that it had Oz content before I plunked down money for myself — and sure enough, it does. On the first disk, Bobby McFerrin is a special guest, and he does a great a capella eight minute summary and highlights of The Wizard of Oz (the movie, not the book, althought I suspect he could do that, too). I remember seeing that several years ago on PBS, and I've heard that McFerrin still does it as part of his show when he works with symphony orchestras. I'm glad to see that it's available now on DVD, and I hope I can get my own copy before too long. If you want to get an idea of what it's like, here's a sample I found online (not that this is not from the DVD collection, but appears to be a concert appearance):

No comments: