Sunday, June 18, 2006

An Ozzy Encounter

The other day, in my day job as a substitute teacher, I was at a local junior high on its last full day. The morning's activities were dominated by a final remembrance/recognition of the ninth graders, who are going to be at the high school next year. During the ceremony, a couple of singers came up and did a medly of "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World." Okay, I was happy to hear "Over the Rainbow," but this was one of the most bizarre arrangements I've ever heard! Lyrics were in the wrong places, notes went down when they should have gone up, etc. I don't think it was the singer's fault, as she was pretty good. Oh, well. But at the end, as a recessional, they played a tune that sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it at first. Then I realized it was "For Good" from Wicked! Cool. I just never expected to hear a Wicked song under those circumstances, which is why it took a while to figure it out.

No comments: