Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI's 100 Years, 100 Movie Quotes

Laura and I watched the second half of this year's tribute to the movies last night (and I taped the whole thing, so I can enjoy it all later). These are always fun, and that weird movie made in 1939 with all the garish colors (until MGM ran out of money and had to film the Kansas scenes in black and white) had three quotes on the final list:



  • "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" at #99
  • "There's no place like home." at #23
  • "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." at #4*


I'm a little surprised "There's no place like home" was as low as it was -- I thought for sure that would be the Oz quote in the top ten -- but otherwise it went about as I thought it would. The rest of the list is pretty interesting, too, and you can see it for yourself at http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx. (Of course something from Gone with the Wind would be at the top. That melodrama is always hogging all the glory that belongs to Oz...)

My favorite quote from The Wizard of Oz, however, didn't even make the nominations list. When Dorothy asks the Scarecrow how he can talk if he hasn't got a brain, he says he doesn't know, then adds, "But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?" Hee hee hee.

* Coincidentally, my sister-in-law Lisa, who's on a cross-country road trip with her parents and our niece, left us a voice mail yesterday saying the same thing soon after crossing the Kansas state line into Missouri.

No comments: